E-Learning: Fundamentals of Community Based Disaster and Risk Management
Our course on Fundamentals of Community Based Disaster and Risk Management is catered to humanitarians, NGO professionals and Government Officers who are active in the fields of resilience, disaster and risk management. The United Nations SDG #11 on Sustainable Cities & Communities is a benchmark of targets and goals for the world to achieve by 2030 related to resilient and sustainable cities as well as communities. Taking this to consideration this course has been designed to cover the fundamental perspectives of Community based Disaster & Risk Management.
Why our course is different?
Sarvodaya takes pride in engaging with communities grounded with their own communal realties and this course not only takes a technical approach to the subject but also a philosophical perspective which would enrich the students’ learning experience. Within the larger Sarvodaya Development work Disaster Response has been a top priority in our 60 years of engagement and this course is enriched by that vast experience and inculcates ground realities, perspectives and the success stories of Community based disaster risk reduction and resilience.
- Introduction to basic concepts in community resilience and disaster management and to describe humanitarian principles and Sphere standards in disaster response along with a philosophical perspective to care and responses.
- Fundamentals of first aid and safe patient transportation and the importance of caring for the sick.
- To provide basic knowledge, skills and attitudes with regards to psychological first aid along with philosophical perspectives of psychological healing and elements of psycho-social healing in post-disaster situations.
- Basics of environmental health, aspects in camp management and being sensitive to the external environment.
- To introduce the maternal, child health, elderly and special needs aspects on disaster management and inclusivity.
- introduction to community-based early warning systems.
- Basics of disaster risk reduction.
- Practicum exercise on Community Resilience Action Plans
Duration & Pathway
You will complete this course at your own pace within a minimum period of 08 weeks to a maximum of 10 weeks and students will be evaluated through online assignments, online viva and course work that would affect their final grades. (For Certificate pathway)
Student are also encouraged and required to submit a project of their choice (adhering to academic standards) related to the scope of Community based Disaster Risk Management.
Awards & Pathways
Students can opt-in to receiving a verified Certificate from Sarvodaya Institute of Higher Learning if they successfully complete the course and pay the subsidised course fee of LKR 8500 at registration.
If student do not require a certification and are looking forward to expanding their understanding in this field they can opt-into the Non-Certificationroute for free and a certificate would not be issued at this instance.
Students will have to register their interest at the beginning of their course and would not be allowed to opt-into the Certificate pathway in the middle of the course.
Certificate Pathway: Students make a payment and opt-into applying for a certificate.
Non-Certificate Pathway: Students learn for free but no acknowledgement of their participation.
This course is designed for students, humanitarians, NGO professionals and Govt Officers engage in Disaster Risk Reduction and enthusiasts who would like to expand their learning horizons.
E-Learning courses are designed for students, professionals and enthusiasts who would like to expand their current understandings of this course offering within the limited time they have allocated for studies.
The Certificate Pathwaywill require students to possess relevant academic qualifications (GCE A/L Passes and above) when registering for this course. Non-Certificate pathway does not require you to have academic qualifications.
For more information and clarifications please reach the Student Counselling Department of the Sarvodaya Institute of Higher Learning on email@example.com and we will be delighted to assist you throughout your learning journey with us.